Well another disastrous attempt at getting into Elluminate this evening – so I missed the first half of the session and then it kept cutting out on me. This is all a bit frustrating as it’s such a waste of time and I miss the synchronous contact.
On thinking back through the way I tried to connect this evening, I had to laugh at myself. I’m sure the steps I went through will seem quite bizarre to the technically competent.
1. I have a new laptop – the last one was dying on me – so I thought ‘Great – this will speed things up!’ But I couldn’t get into Ustream. I thought it must be something to do with the settings on my new laptop – so I logged out and in a few times to no avail.
2. I then thought I would move back to my old laptop, since I have always got in with that one in the past – but my old laptop takes an age to start up. Finally opened up Ustream to find it was OffAir.
3. I puzzled about this for a little and then decided I must have got the time wrong – so went back to the connectivism site to check it. It was the same time as always – but had summer time changed in Canada? Off to the World clock to check on times. No I had the right time – so where was everyone?
4. I finally remembered that we had once before had to decamp to Elluminate so logged in there.
5. After much hassle with my old laptop, I got into Elluminate to find that I could see the chat – but had no sound at all.
6. Went through the audio wizard – which did not seem to be working.
7. Finally thought to check my volume to find that it was off – I’d done this earlier in the day, but forgotten.
So once again I joined the session late and everyone else seemed to be there and knowing what was going on. I’m only making this post as I think it’s a salutory lesson for connectivism. Although I might be one of only a handful of people on this course (I prefer not to think that I might be the only one!) who is not very technically competent, I think there are plenty more like me out there and in fact many who are a lot worse than me – and the fact is, that if you can’t handle the technology, then you just cannot connect in an online environment!
Anyhow, I’m going to remember this to help me keep my feet on the ground when working with people who are new to online learning🙂
There was lots of interesting chat in the last half hour of the session, so I hope to catch up with it all soon!