So far this year, I have been fortunate to have two journal articles published. It is always exciting after months of work to finally see papers in print. The first paper to come out in January was
Williams, R., Gumtau, S. & Mackness, J. (2015). Synesthesia: from cross-modal to modality-free learning and knowledge. Leonardo Journal
The second came out this month
Mackness, J. & Bell, F. (2015). Rhizo14: A Rhizomatic Learning cMOOC in Sunlight and in Shade. Open Praxis. 7(1), p. 25-38
The history behind the publication of these two papers couldn’t be more different. Read on and then decide which history you would prefer. The Leonardo paper which I worked on with Roy Williams and Simone Gumtau is published in Leonardo Journal. This was quite a coup for us; on the ranking of visual arts journals released by Google Scholar it came in fourth. If I worked for a University, like Simone does, this would be important not just for me, but also for the University’s Research Excellence Framework’s (REF) ranking . Looking back in my folders and files, this is the history I find:
|Jan 2012||Started work on the Synesthesia article|
|March 2012||First draft of the paper was completed|
|End of July 2012||Submitted to Leonardo Journal|
|Nov 2012||Received comprehensive reviewers comments|
|Jan 2013||Resubmitted and paper accepted for publication in Jan 2014|
|Jan 2015||Paper published|
Following acceptance it seemed to take for ever to get permission for the images we wanted to include and meet the image quality requirements of Leonardo Journal. Roy did a huge amount of work on this. Ultimately the paper was not published until Jan 2015. The quality of the publication in terms of the work of the publishers in preparing this paper is very high. It looks great Leonardo is a closed journal with very strict copyright regulations. We cannot share the paper (for example on Research Gate) for another 6 months. Despite this we have had quite a few requests for this paper.
Time from start to finish = 3 years
The Open Praxis paper was published on Feb 14th this month. The history of this paper is as follows:
|Feb 2014||Frances Bell and I started discussing the ethical framework and possible approaches for the research|
|March to Sept 2014||Collection and analysis of data|
|July 2014||Presentation about research in progress to ALTMOOCSIG at UCL|
|Sept/Oct 2014||Literature review and writing|
|10th Nov 2014||Submitted|
|13th Jan 2015||Accepted with no required changes. Feedback from reviewers. Made some minor edits|
|14th Feb 2015||Published|
The process was very smooth with great attention to detail by the Editor and a good looking publication as an outcome. All communication with the Editor was courteous and helpful. In addition Open Praxis is an open journal and there were no issues with our coloured Table. We have been able to blog and tweet about this publication and are already receiving positive feedback.
Total time from start to finish = 1 year
Update: Just as I finish writing this post, Open Praxis tweets a brief report on Open Praxis figures and data (2013-2014) which is very interesting and reports an increasing impact as a journal.