I have made a number of posts related to Iain McGilchrist’s work after hearing him speak about his book, The Master and His Emissary: The Divided Brain and the Making of the Western World.
The first time I heard him speak was in 2014 in Edinburgh. He was giving a lecture for the Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities at Edinburgh University. The lecture was free and open to the public, so having read his book, I travelled up to Edinburgh from my home in South Lakeland to hear him speak. Since then I have attended three four-day courses organised by Field & Field, at which Iain McGilchrist has shared his current thinking and his work on his book.
Following each event I have shared what I have heard and learned on this blog.
These posts, and others, can be found in the Category – The Divided Brain – https://jennymackness.wordpress.com/category/the-divided-brain/
2019 – This year I will attend the Field & Field course again and for the first time will run a workshop/discussion group, in which I hope we will discuss the possible implications of Iain McGilchrist’s ideas for education, teaching and learning. In preparation for this workshop, I have explored some of the themes from Iain’s book, The Master and His Emissary, which seem particularly relevant when considering educational change.
- Flow – https://jennymackness.wordpress.com/2019/02/25/the-meaning-of-flow-in-education/
- Depth and Breadth – https://jennymackness.wordpress.com/2019/03/07/the-meaning-of-depth-and-breadth-in-education/
- Two Kinds of Knowing – https://jennymackness.wordpress.com/2019/03/16/two-kinds-of-knowing/
- Embodied Learning. Knowing with the whole body – https://jennymackness.wordpress.com/2019/03/28/embodied-learning-knowing-with-the-whole-body/
The following earlier posts are also relevant to the implications of McGilchrist’s work for education.
- There are No Things – https://jennymackness.wordpress.com/2018/03/15/there-are-no-things-there-are-patterns/
- ‘Betweenness’ : A Way of Being in the World – https://jennymackness.wordpress.com/2018/10/02/betweenness-a-way-of-being-in-the-world/
- Exploring the Divided Brain – Where can we go for Truth? – https://jennymackness.wordpress.com/2016/08/31/exploring-the-divided-brain-where-can-we-go-for-truth/
The Master and His Emissary is a long and very dense text – not a quick read, but definitely a book for our time. This RSA Animate video provides a good introduction.
Another very good introduction to McGilchrist’s ideas is this short book: Ways of Attending: How Our Divided Brain Constructs the World.